It’s not hard to make your own Asian-inspired meal at home when you combine the simple ingredients called for in this Asian beef and mango salad by Clean Eating. Lean flank steak is marinated in a sweet and sour sauce then served on a bed of fresh lettuce leaves with juicy mango pieces and crunchy cashews.
Asian Steak & Mango Salad
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, strained, divided
- 1 pound flank steak, trimmed
- 7 cups green leaf lettuce (cored, rinsed, dried and torn into bite-sized pieces)
- 1/3 cup peeled and diced mango or pineapple
- 1 ounce unsalted cashews (about 16 cashews), lightly toasted, if desired
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce, divided (certified gluten-free if necessary)
- 4 teaspoons honey, divided
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon safflower oil
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
To an extra-large resealable plastic bag, add 1⁄4 cup lime juice, 1 tablespoon soy sauce and 1 1/2 teaspoons honey. Add steak, seal bag, and set aside to marinate at room temperature for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, set an oven rack about 8 inches beneath broiler, and preheat broiler to high. Place a broiler pan on top of a baking sheet and mist broiler pan with cooking spray. Transfer steak to broiler pan and broil for 5 minutes. Carefully turn over and broil for another 5 minutes for medium-rare or 7 minutes for medium. Transfer to a cutting board, cover with foil, and let rest for 5 minutes. With a serrated knife, thinly cut steak against the grain. Spoon any juices from cutting board over steak.
Meanwhile, to a large bowl, add remaining 2 tablespoons lime juice, remaining 1 tablespoon soy sauce, remaining 2 1/2 teaspoons honey, oil and 1 tablespoon water; whisk well. Add lettuce and mango and toss well. Divide among serving plates and top each with steak and cashews. Sprinkle pepper over top.
Serves: 4 | Serving Size: 1/4 salad + 1 tablespoon dressing
Per serving: Calories: 275; Total Fat: 6g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Monounsaturated Fat: 3g; Cholesterol: 40mg; Sodium: 309mg; Carbohydrate: 14g; Dietary Fiber: 1g; Sugar: 9g; Protein: 27g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 584mg; Iron: 14%; Vitamin A: 95%; Vitamin C: 39%; Calcium: 7%