This cool, crunchy salad features finely shredded cabbage, fresh herbs and a sweet touch of apple. For a more substantial meal, add brown rice noodles or serve with brown jasmine rice.
Vietnamese Lemongrass Chicken Salad
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- 5 tablespoons lime juice (from about 2 1/2 limes)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce (such as sambal oelek)
- 4 cups green cabbage, thinly shredded
- 2 cups (8 ounces) rotisserie chicken breast, skin and bones discarded
- 1 medium Fuji apple, cored and chopped
- 1 cup snow peas, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1/2 small red bell pepper, cut into julienne strips
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, torn
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, torn
- 1/4 cup roasted almonds, chopped
Trim the bottom off of the lemongrass and peel away the tough outer layers. Trim off the tough top third and bottom 1/2-inch of the stalk and discard. Smack stalk with a meat tenderizer or small saucepan to release the aromatic oils and make it easier to slice. Slice the lemongrass and add to a blender with the remaining dressing ingredients. Blend until smooth and set aside.
In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, chicken, apple, snow peas, bell pepper, shallots and herbs. Add 2/3 of the dressing and toss to combine. Mound the salad on a large serving platter. Top with the almonds. Drizzle with remaining dressing and serve immediately.
Serves: 6 | Serving Size: 1 1/4 cups
Per serving: Calories: 135; Total Fat: 4g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Monounsaturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 34mg; Sodium: 506mg; Carbohydrate: 13g; Dietary Fiber: 3g; Sugar: 8g; Protein: 14g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 318mg; Iron: 2%; Vitamin A: 12%; Vitamin C: 74%; Calcium: 13%