Make a light and flavorful meal with this lettuce wrap recipe featuring lean shrimp with carrots, bell peppers, black beans and lime juice. Fresh shrimps takes very little time to cook, but you can shave even more time off prep by buying pre-cooked shrimp at the supermarket. Want to heat up your colorful meal? Stir in 1/2 to 1 minced fresh jalapeño.
20-Minute Zesty Shrimp Lettuce Wraps
- 3/4 pound (340 grams) cooked, peeled and deveined small or medium shrimp
- 1 large (70 grams) carrot, peeled and shaved with vegetable peeler or grated
- 1 small (75 grams) yellow bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup (120 grams) rinsed and drained no-salt-added canned black beans (certified gluten-free if necessary)
- 1/4 cup (5 grams) fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lime rind
- 1/4 cup (60 grams) fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 to 24 large (180 to 360 grams) Boston or butter lettuce leaves, rinsed and patted dry*
Combine all ingredients except lettuce in a medium bowl. (Mixture may be chilled until ready to serve.) Spoon 1/3 cup shrimp salad into each lettuce leaf. Serve immediately.
* If lettuce leaves are small, stack two together before filling.
Serves: 4 | Serving Size: 3 filled lettuce wraps
Per serving: Calories: 130; Total Fat: 4g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Monounsaturated Fat: 3g; Cholesterol: 115mg; Sodium: 436mg; Carbohydrate: 10g; Dietary Fiber: 3g; Sugar: 3g; Protein: 15g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 344mg; Iron: 4%; Vitamin A: 65%; Vitamin C: 28%; Calcium: 7%