Crowd-pleasing white bean chili from Cooking Light calls for canned beans and chicken broth, making prep convenient. Pureeing the bean mixture makes the soup thicker giving it more body. Cannelini beans will work in a pinch if you cannot find Great Northern beans.
This recipe is part of our 30 Healthy Log It Now Recipes e-cookbook!
Download your free copy here.
White Bean Turkey Chili
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups diced yellow onion (about 2 medium)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 (15.8-ounce) cans Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained (certified gluten-free if necessary)
- 4 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups chopped cooked turkey
- 1/2 cup diced seeded plum tomato (about 1)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 lime wedges (optional)
Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 10 minutes or until tender and golden. Add chili powder, garlic, and cumin; sauté for 2 minutes. Add oregano and beans; cook for 30 seconds. Add broth; bring to a simmer. Cook 20 minutes.
Place 2 cups of bean mixture in a blender or food processor, and process until smooth. Return pureed mixture to pan. Add turkey, and cook 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Remove from heat. Add diced tomato, chopped cilantro, lime juice, salt, and pepper, stirring well. Garnish with lime wedges, if desired.
Serves: 8 | Serving Size: 1 cup
Per serving: Calories: 281; Total Fat: 5g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Monounsaturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 40mg; Sodium: 623mg; Carbohydrate: 34g; Dietary Fiber: 8g; Sugar: 3g; Protein: 26g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 602mg; Iron: 22%; Vitamin A: 10%; Vitamin C: 12%; Calcium: 12%
Find more low-calorie dinner meals like this from the new Cooking Light Diet, where you can lose weight without giving up the foods you love. Learn more at CookingLightDiet.com. Follow Cooking Light on Facebook for more daily recipe inspiration.
Follow Cooking Light on Facebook for daily recipe inspiration.