Grilled cheese lovers, rejoice! This garlicky sandwich from Cooking Light combines cheese, bacon and greens for the most satisfying 300 calories you can chomp into.
This recipe is part of our 30 Healthy Log It Now Recipes e-cookbook!
Download your free copy here.
Garlicky Bacon & Spinach Grilled Cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 4 cups baby spinach leaves
- 4 cups baby arugula leaves
- 4 center-cut bacon slices, halved
- 8 (1-ounce) rustic Italian bread slices
- 2 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 ounces fontina cheese, shredded (about 1/2 cup)
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Add garlic to pan; sauté 1 minute. Add spinach and arugula; stir until wilted. Remove spinach mixture from pan. Return pan to medium-high heat. Add bacon; cook until crisp. Remove bacon.
Top 4 bread slices evenly with cheeses, bacon pieces, spinach mixture, and the remaining 4 bread slices.
Heat pan over medium heat. Add sandwiches to drippings in pan; weigh down with a plate. Cook 2 minutes on each side.
Serves: 4 | Serving Size: 1 sandwich
Per serving: Calories: 293; Total Fat: 11g; Saturated Fat: 5g; Monounsaturated Fat: 4g; Cholesterol: 33mg; Sodium: 666mg; Carbohydrate: 30g; Dietary Fiber: 1g; Sugar: 1g; Protein: 16g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 237mg; Iron: 16%; Vitamin A: 68%; Vitamin C: 15%; Calcium: 24%