If you’re yearning for juicy baked chicken, you need to try this recipe for baked hummus-crusted chicken. Lean chicken breast is kept moist in a creamy hummus shell, which adds flavor, fiber and protein. It’s served over roasted zucchini but you can also sub in your favorite roasted veggies instead. Make this for dinner, and you can pack leftovers for a lunch you’ll be excited about.
Baked Hummus-Crusted Chicken
- 4 (6 ounces or 170 grams each) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 3 medium zucchini or yellow summer squash, roughly chopped (588 grams total)
- 1 medium (110 grams) onion, roughly chopped
- 1 cup hummus (246 grams), homemade or store-bought (certified gluten-free if necessary)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika, divided
- 1 lemon, quartered
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Spray two glass baking dishes with cooking spray.
While oven is preheating, pat the chicken dry. Season chicken breast with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add the chicken breast and hummus into a small bowl and toss until well-coated.
In a glass baking pan, toss the zucchini and onion with olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper until coated. Pat vegetables down until it makes an even layer in the baking pan. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon paprika. Bake for 15 minutes.
In the second glass baking dish, add the chicken breast. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon paprika.
Place both baking dishes into the oven at 450 degrees F. Bake the vegetables for about 15 minutes, and bake the chicken for about 20 minutes. Serve each chicken breast with about 3/4 cup of vegetables and 1 lemon wedge.
Serves: 4 | Serving Size: 1 (6 ounce chicken breast) + 3/4 cups veggies + 1 lemon wedge
Per serving: Calories: 358; Total Fat: 11g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Monounsaturated Fat: 3g; Cholesterol: 90mg; Sodium: 785mg; Carbohydrate: 22g; Dietary Fiber: 5g; Sugar: 4g; Protein: 39g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 869mg; Iron: 15%; Vitamin A: 12%; Vitamin C: 66%; Calcium: 11%
Energizing Tips (optional)
- Serve with 1 small baked sweet potato for more calories, fiber, carbs and sweetness. (Per serving: Calories: 412; Total Fat: 11g; Carbohydrate: 34g; Dietary Fiber: 7g; Sugar: 8g; Protein: 40g)
- Serve with 1 whole grain pita for more calories, fiber and carbs. (Per serving: Calories: 528; Total Fat: 13g; Carbohydrate: 57g; Dietary Fiber: 10g; Sugar: 5g; Protein: 45g)
Photo Credit: Demi Tsasis